Firefighters Save Two Homes

0
803
Photo provided by Onancock Volunteer Fire Department Inc.

By Linda Cicoira
Volunteer firefighters in Accomack County saved two houses from destruction after fires broke out in Schooner Bay and Lee Mont on Thanksgiving Day. No injuries were reported in either incident.
“It was just a busy evening,” said Chief Adam James of Onancock Volunteer Fire Department. “We saved two homes so that was a good night.”
About 25 volunteers from five companies responded to a fire on Bluebill Lane at Schooner Bay. The blaze was reported at 5:42 p.m. Firefighters from Onancock, Tasley, Melfa, Parksley, and Bloxom joined together to battle the fire. An ambulance from Onancock also responded but was not needed.
“We arrived to find a shed in the backyard fully involved with extension into the back of the house,” James said. “We were able to get a quick knock down — in about 15 minutes. All occupants were out of the house upon our arrival.”
The shed was a total loss. James said damage to the house was contained to one room. The accidental fire started in the outbuilding but it was unclear what caused it, he said. Residents had just finished their feast and were in the living room when they saw the fire.
As firefighters were leaving that scene, a chimney fire was reported on Bayside Road in Lee Mont. Deputy Chief Richie Collins was in command at that blaze, which was reported at nearly 7:30 p.m.

Previous articlePolice Seek Information in Pocomoke Shooting
Next articleMrs. Hannah Coffman Cobb