UPDATE on Murder Suspect


By Linda Cicoira — He was on Puerto Rico’s most wanted list after being charged in absentia with committing two murders, three attempted murders, and weapons violations, in 2016.  And he was living in Painter until U.S. Marshals Service arrested him Friday, July 12.

Jonathan Avilés-Alers, 28, was captured at the 33000 block of Lankford Highway in Painter at about 6:45 a.m.

“When members of the task force approached the house from the front, he (Avilés-Alers) ran around the house and into the backyard where he was taken into custody by other task force members who were already in place,” a spokesperson for the marshals’ office said.

Avilés-Alers is being held in the Eastern Shore Regional Jail pending extradition. The crimes are alleged to have occurred in Isabela. 

According to accounts printed in several online newspapers, the defendant was in a crowd at about 10:46 p.m., Oct. 23, 2016, in between highways 474 and 475 of the sector four streets Chelao of Isabela. People had gathered in relation to general elections. The suspect “and a second unidentified individual, approached,” drew weapons, “and opened fire.”

Anfernee Joel Luciano Ramos,19, of Aguadilla, and Robbie R. Torres Siberio, 22, of Isabela, died. Jorge L. Pellot Valley, 18, was injured in the right arm. Anthony Aviles Guzman, 23, was shot in the left arm. René Joel Esponda Rodríguez was wounded in the right leg. One theory was there had been a dispute involving drug turfs.

According to https://jornadapr.com the arrest warrant included “a bail ascending to $6 million.”

The arrest was a joint effort between U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task forces in New York/New Jersey-Trenton Division and Norfolk, assisted by Accomack County Sheriff’s Office and Norfolk Fugitive Unit.

The mission of U.S. Marshals Service fugitive task forces is to locate and apprehend the most violent and dangerous fugitives and to provide assistance to other federal, state and local law enforcement agencies in support of their fugitive investigations.

Pedro Fortier, a spokesperson for the Office of Federal Bailiffs, told www.elvocero.com “The task force of Puerto Rico, together with the Arrest Unit of the Puerto Rico Police, received information that was provided to the marshal’s office in Virginia, which executed the arrest.”

Previous articleSchool Board Member Pleased With Consideration of Restorative Justice
Next articleAccomack EDA Head: Airport Traffic Could Increase from Wallops Overflow